Sunday, August 14, 2011

When I tell people I work in Accounting, why do they automatically ume I work with taxes?

I graduated with an accounting degree and got an entry level job in a Finance dept at a non-profit organization. Whenever I tell people I got an accounting job, they always ume I’m in tax. They would make remarks like, “Ah! Now you can do my taxes” or they’ll say, “Oh! You must be busy since it’s tax season!” I emphasize over and over to these people that I’m in FINANCE, but they still make these comments about tax season and all. In accounting, I can work in tax, finance or as an auditor. Why do people ume accounting = tax? Yes, many CPAs work in the tax department, but many others work as financial ysts or auditors. Not all accountants work on tax. So, why do people like to ume that??

No comments:

Post a Comment