Saturday, August 13, 2011

Subtotal auto fill formula in Excel?

I have a spreadsheet on excel with "gross" amounts as one column. I want a subtotal amount to be automatically calculated in the next column between the current subtotal and a new gross amount. The program will not allow me to do this because it is a circular reference. When I enable the iterative calculation like it suggest, it gives me some random number that isn't the sum at all. I just want to know how to auto-fill this formula into a subtotal column. The first formula is E3=SUM(D2:D3). For E4=SUM(E3:D4), E5=SUM(E4:D5), etc. How can I have it automatically formulated each time a new gross amount is put in column D? I tried the subtotal tool already, but it didn't put the subtotal amounts in the column titled "subtotal". Instead, it was put under each amount in the "gross" column. Any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment